Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The urban garden continues to yield its bounty






Lemon basil, kale, and beets growing on my apartment porch right smack dab in the middle of sunny Los Angeles!















A corner of my square foot garden planter-on-wheels with carrots and beets I pulled out today.









You can see how these buildings shade my porch and prevent my plants from getting more than about five hours of direct sunlight. Because of this, my beets were only the size of large radishes and my white, orange, and red carrots were pretty little.


Next task to attempt: convince the apartment manager to let me grow a winter crop on the roof.:) Due to our long growing season here in So. Cal, I can sow cold weather crop seeds now (like more lettuce, kale, beets, peas, bok choi, kale, etc.) and have a new harvest by November. If I plant on the roof, I'll get enough sunshine for them to get big.

3 comments:

Mike and Kristin said...

Oh they look beautiful. You are a natural at this.

SuperSpencer said...

How cool! I didn't know that there was such a thing as red carrots!

Winnow D. Asael said...

When you bite the red carrots, they're orange inside. Only the skin is red. Fun.